On air now:

Chris Short

with

Live from Studio 1

About Us

A brief history

Falklands Radio has existed in various forms since 1929.  Today the station broadcasts all around the Falklands, and globally via online streaming.

The station is staffed by six fulltime employees and approximately twenty-five freelancers, and broadcasts for ninety-four hours each week, providing content of interest for the diverse population of the Falkland Islands and aims to be a friendly companion to our listeners.

1929
1942
1946
1950
1951
1954
1959
1963
1964
1977
1982
1999
2005
2018
2023
Rediffusion system installed in Stanley using a locally constructed amplifier. Lines were rented, speakers could either be rented or owned. The systems were patched through to the telephones on the east during the evening.
Broadcasting commenced from buildings owned by the Falkland Islands Government (FIG). A transmitter was made locally, and operated only on Sunday afternoons between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.
The system was extended to various weekday evenings from 5:45 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The transmitter was replaced with a better model but on the same frequency using the same aerial. Reception was then adequate year-round.
The broadcasting studios moved but kept the same transmitter. Radio could not be heard on all islands.
The transmitters were re-located to the current building on John Street, new rediffusion amplifier, receivers and aerials were installed.
Morning broadcasting commenced on various days from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and evening broadcasts continued during the hours of 5:45 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The height of the 3958 kHz aerial was reduced following recommendations from the BBC.
The 585 kHz frequency was changed to 536 kHz to avoid interference.
The first Broadcasting Officer (Patrick Watts) was appointed. He remained in post until 1999.
The rediffusion service used to pass information to households during wartime including information about blackouts and curfews. Following the war, the rediffusion service was phased out and replaced by VHF transmitters.
Broadcasting Officer, Patrick Watts retired. A new transmitter (530 MHz) was installed to increase radio coverage across the islands.
The Falkland Islands Broadcasting Station (FIBS) transferred from FIG ownership and moved to the Media Trust for oversight. The name was changed to Falkland Islands Radio Service (now known as Falklands Radio). Corina Goss was appointed as the new Station Manager and remains in post today.
The station was fully rebranded with new imaging, new music, new shows and increased local output.
A new website was launched, including an updated player for online listening.
1929
Rediffusion system installed in Stanley using a locally constructed amplifier. Lines were rented, speakers could either be rented or owned. The systems were patched through to the telephones on the east during the evening.
1929
1942
Broadcasting commenced from buildings owned by the Falkland Islands Government (FIG). A transmitter was made locally, and operated only on Sunday afternoons between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.
1942
1946
The system was extended to various weekday evenings from 5:45 p.m. to 8 p.m.
1946
1950
The transmitter was replaced with a better model but on the same frequency using the same aerial. Reception was then adequate year-round.
1950
1951
The broadcasting studios moved but kept the same transmitter. Radio could not be heard on all islands.
1951
1954
The transmitters were re-located to the current building on John Street, new rediffusion amplifier, receivers and aerials were installed.
1954
1959
Morning broadcasting commenced on various days from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and evening broadcasts continued during the hours of 5:45 p.m. to 8 p.m.
1959
1963
The height of the 3958 kHz aerial was reduced following recommendations from the BBC.
1963
1964
The 585 kHz frequency was changed to 536 kHz to avoid interference.
1964
1977
The first Broadcasting Officer (Patrick Watts) was appointed. He remained in post until 1999.
1977
1982
The rediffusion service used to pass information to households during wartime including information about blackouts and curfews. Following the war, the rediffusion service was phased out and replaced by VHF transmitters.
1982
1999
Broadcasting Officer, Patrick Watts retired. A new transmitter (530 MHz) was installed to increase radio coverage across the islands.
1999
2005
The Falkland Islands Broadcasting Station (FIBS) transferred from FIG ownership and moved to the Media Trust for oversight. The name was changed to Falkland Islands Radio Service (now known as Falklands Radio). Corina Goss was appointed as the new Station Manager and remains in post today.
2005
2018
The station was fully rebranded with new imaging, new music, new shows and increased local output.
2018
2023
A new website was launched, including an updated player for online listening.
2023

Meet the Team

Our broadcasting is made possible by a dedicated team of presenters and journalists.

A small team of permament staff are joined throughout the week by freelance presenters, each bringing their knowledge and personality to their shows